1. There have been changes to the vendor subscriptions and upgrade packages. Our basic vendor package is now FREE and includes access to VFSOT and the Vendors Lounge. Please copy and paste the link below your browser and visit this thread for more details. http://thebabywearer.com/forum/threads/vendor-subscriptions-and-upgrades-all-vendors-please-read.538498/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. **NOW FREE**Check out our all-new Media Gallery! Browse and upload your photos and build your own online albums. Limit of 50mb/member and 5mb/picture. Please tag your photos here as you would on Instagram, as well as filling in the fields for specific information. Utilize the new geekery format for tagging wrapping photos, too! Note: All uploads to the Media Gallery are subject to TBW/BWI photo release policies. By uploading media to the gallery, you are accepting this policy.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you want to leave a review of your experience with a vendor or a carrier? Are you looking for reviews before purchasing a carrier? Please visit our Vendors and Reviews forum - OPEN NOW and being populated with vendors and carriers daily. Please follow the link in the menu bar at the top of the screen (mobile users click on the three horizontal lines to open the full menu).
    Dismiss Notice

Fidella

Discussion in 'Asian & Soft Structured Carriers' started by TBW Reviews, Jul 31, 2015.

1. TBW Reviews

TBW Reviews Carrying On Vendor

2. Bluewater

Bluewater TBW Devotee - Gold

Purchased From: 5mr
    Date Purchased: January 2016
    Purchase Price:
    New or Used: New
    Age/Size of Wearee: 16 months, 19 lbs
    Comfort:

Quality of Construction:

Overall Rating:
    We have a Fidella Fly Tai Outer Space Neptune. I got it because I was looking for a compromise between a SSC and wrapping. Right now little dude will not let me back wrap him but I hate the SSC in the front so if he's on my back it is in the SSC and if he's on my front he's wrapped. I tried a basic Mei Tai with regular straps in the past but did not like it so what caught my eye about the Fly Tai was the hood, the adjustable body panel and the wrap straps.

The good news: it is a good compromise. The bad news: it is still a compromise and it has one issue that annoys me. I use it for both front and back carries and it is good at both. Little dude likes it and we get good comfy carries that last for a long time. I like that I was able to adjust the panel to fit him exactly. It is faster than wrapping but slower than the SSC. It is less bulky than the SSC. The fabric is thin, soft, smooth and moldable. I like that it is 100% cotton and easy to care for. The SSC is still slightly better for back carries and wraps have the edge for front carries but the Fly Tai does both of them well. It would really shine if we were out and about with limited space and my husband and I were taking turns carrying little dude. Not needing to adjust between users would be really great, it's one of our biggest complaints about the SSC.

The thing that annoys me: the hood. I specifically wanted a hood as an option to protect little dude from the sun and to support his head if he falls asleep but the Fly Tai's hood is terrible. It's not really the hood as much as it is the strings on the hood and where the strings are supposed to attach to the shoulder straps. I've taken a picture and I have no idea what the folks at Fidella are thinking because you can see where the attachments are in relation to the baby's head. I have the panel adjusted appropriately so it hits at the back of little dude's neck just like they show in the booklet that came with the Fly Tai but the instructions on how to use the hood do not make sense. Add in how short the strings are on the hood and it is pretty much unusable. I'm seriously considering chopping up the bag that the Fly Tai came in (it is the same fabric as the Fly Tai) to add length to the strings and add additional places to attach on the shoulder straps.

Having said that the hood is the only thing I don't like about this carrier. It'll be great for traveling, we could get by very well with just this and a ring sling for a trip. It could be a great one and only except it has an age range and it is not recommended for newborns. The Fly Tai is only for 3 months and up so you would need something else until baby is old enough. As far as looks go the pattern is nice and very daddy friendly, it comes in a variety of colors including a great navy and grey option that is neutral and classy (and very Dallas Cowboys according to a friend). I went for the green and blue one because those are our favorite colors.

Back carry tied tibetan, super comfy and looks cool.
    0203161434-1.jpg

That's where the hood is supposed to attach. You can see the string you are supposed to use there at the corner of the hood. Yes, that is really how long the string is.
    0201161511a-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016